Reports indicate that consumer confidence in the used car industry is at an all-time low. Recent studies have found that just 7% of consumers claim to trust used car dealerships and a further 36% have walked away from a vehicle they intended to buy because they did not feel the dealer provided enough trustworthy information about it.
To improve the relationship between consumers and used car dealerships, AA Cars has developed its Dealer Promise. This is a scheme which offers our independent dealerships the opportunity to demonstrate their dedication to providing a first class customer service on a day to day basis.
Benefits to dealerships
Partnering with one of the UK’s most trusted brands, the AA, is likely to enhance the profile of your business, leading to heightened awareness of your offering. The Dealer Promise digital branding you’ll gain access to should also increase lead generation, resulting in a higher conversion to sale ratio thanks to the showroom point of sale.
The dealerships’ role
In order to be part of the AA Dealer Promise, each dealership must adhere to the following ten points:
- Provide a minimum of six months MOT on all vehicles
- Offer a road test, so buyers can ensure any vehicle meets their requirements
- Hand over all essential documents (including V5 registration document, MOT certificate and service records)
- Deliver a free history check on every vehicle
- Allow for a vehicle inspection on any car by the AA or any other independent third party before purchase
- Professionally prepare and hand over the vehicle in good condition
- Welcome an auditing by AA Cars once a year, which ensures compliance with the Dealer Promise
- Enable consumers to escalate issues to AA Cars, who will act as a mediator
- Honour your obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to protect the consumer’s purchase
- Make sure all vehicles advertised on AA Cars come with 12 months’ breakdown cover
Once these actions are in place, your dealership will be eligible to join up as part of the AA Cars Dealer Promise. Currently 40% of existing independent dealers have joined the scheme, with record numbers of new ones signing up too.
What you as an independent car dealer receive
Along with an increased transparency for your customers that should convert to more sales, all businesses that are part of the Dealer Promise receive a plaque (pictured above) and pull-up banner detailing the scheme, for your premises. This will help to instil instant trust from consumers in the business, with all Dealer Promise branding able to be displayed on the dealership’s website (see picture below).